17 April 2008

April 17th is Poem in Your Pocket Day


The American Academy of Poetry has deemed today "Poem in Your Pocket Day", as part of National Poetry Month.
Whereupon I will share my favorite poem with you:

First Fig
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends-
It gives a lovely light!

Second Fig
Safe upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand:
Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!

-Edna St. Vincent Millay




Also, in the spirit of the day, two poems I can remember my father reciting,

at the slightest provocation:



As I was going up the stair


I met a man who wasn't there


He wasn't there again today


I wish like hell he'd go away.


-William Hughes Mearns


(the last line is supposed to be "I wish, I wish he'd stay away."


I like my dad's version better.)




Chicken in the car.

The car can't go;

That's how you spell Chicago.



-apparently an "old Trini saying", whatever that means.




Quickly! Share your favorite poem, with me or anyone, and mark this day on your calendar for next year...




No comments: